Ep46: The Screencast Show
What is Screencasting?
What tools do I use to make screencast videos?
What makes a good screencast video?
What are the benefits of making screencasts for online businesses?
Ask Mike Anything
Question: Do you have a recommendation for a small light for an iPhone for live streaming?
The LumeCube ($79)
The Manfrotto LUMIMUSE 8 LED Light ($89)
What is Screencasting?
Screencasting is simply recording the screen of your device which may be your laptop or your iPhone or iPad using software most typically (you could use a camera and point it at your monitor).
Screen casting is often called ‘over the shoulder’ video because you are sharing your screen as you see it. It’s actually a great concept and extremely effective teaching approach.
Ways to use screencasting:
Explaining/Teaching anything you do on a computer/iDevice.
Communicate with clients about a project (designers….)
HOW DO I MAKE BASIC SCREENCAST VIDEOS?
Screenflow (using less, but still good)
Quicktime (free for Mac users)
The Gear I use for making screencast videos:
MacBook Pro and my iPhone and iPad on occasion.
Shure SM7B Microphone
Allen & Heath Zed 10 Mixer.
Cowboy Studio Green Screen
Reflector(Mirror iDevices wirelessly….great software)
Adobe Premiere (I use this for final video, but not necessary)
RECIPE FOR GOOD SCREENCASTS:
Tip #1: Preparation. Write an outline or detailed notes.
FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU WANT TO COVER IN THE VIDEO BEFORE YOU PRESS RECORD AND TYPE IT OUT OR WRITE IT DOWN.
Mike’s Screencast Recipe:
1. Who is this video for?
2. What is the purpose of this video?
3. What do I want the viewer to learn or take away from this video?
4. What steps will be covered and in what order?
5. What is the simplest way to summarize the lesson step by step?
6. What do you want them to do after completing the video? Include a call to action.
Tip #2: Be sure to cover everything that is in the title and description of your video.
Tip #3: Be concise and to the point.
What are the advantages of simple screencast videos?
- Minimal gear required and setup is relatively inexpensive (Computer and microphone will do it)
- Camera is not necessary, therefore
- Good lighting is not required.
- You will never run out of topics. Everything you do on your computer or iDevice can be made into a screencast video.
- Screencast help you become a better teacher and communicator
- You will get better at editing video in general
- The more you share, the more you become an expert in your field
- Screencasting your processes makes you more proficient at everything you do and it may also show you areas of weakness
- Screencasting is great content and can be spread across all of your social channels.
- Audience engagement. Make screencasts to help your audience and they will respond.
- Screencasts are the building blocks for making classes, tutorials and all online education.
Questions, Comments, Feedback?
My Gear List:
My Amazon Store:
My YouTube Channel:
Leave a ratings & review (if you already did, thanks)
Buy My New eBook (How To Podcast on Wordpress.com)
Music: Life of Riley & Wallpaper (incompetech.com)
Amazon/Affiliate Disclosure:Mike Murphy LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.