Ep45: The Skillshare Show
- What is Skillshare and how does it work?
- What is required to make a Skillshare class?
- What are the benefits for podcasters and online businesses?
Ask Mike Anything:
Skillshare started in NYC and has been around since 2011. They have over 1.8 million students $5 million+ have been paid to students 6,000 classes in the library. Skillshare is community based
Project Based Learning:
Skillshare is that the platform is project-based The goal is that the end of every class, the student actually creates or makes something which is the most effective way to learn anything.
How Skillshare Works:
Skillshare is membership based model. There are free classes and premium classes and the instructors decide whether they want to charge or give away for free. Most charge. The cost is $9.99 per month and you can take unlimited classes. Just like Netflix. Mike’s Discount Code: Sign up here for Skillshare and sign up you will get 3 months of Premium for .$99
What can you learn on Skillshare?:
Skillshare is a smorgasbord of classes these days, but it is really heavy on design and creative arts, entrepreneurship and social marketing, technology and quite a bit of lifestyle topics such as meditation, health and fitness, and productivity and mindset stuff. You name it and it is probably on Skillshare, but I would say it’s a great place if you want to learn Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Photography & Video and lots of Instagram and social media tips and tricks.
Requirements to Teach:
Anyone can teach on Skillshare and the only real requirement is that you fill out the class with titles, descriptions, etc and that each class you teach has a project students can
Length of classes:
Skillshare is really encouraging ‘snack-sized’ classes of 20-minutes as the ideal length.
What to Teach?:
To teach on Skillshare or online in general the easiest approach is to think small and simple. Whatever your specialty is, look at small pieces and start there. A very good starting point is to just think about a typical work day whether it be at your full time gig or your side project. What do you do everyday that is second nature to you and almost seems silly because its so easy. My favorite Derek Sivers quote:
what’s obvious to you is amazing to others.
- Money: Skillshare has an interesting revenue sharing plan. The more classes you teach and students you have, the more you make. Some estimate the revenue at $1/student. #notbad
- Authority & Marketing: Having classes online is kind of like having a book. You become an instant expert in many peoples eyes if you have an online course and actually you do become an expert the more you talk about a topic and teach so that is a good thing.
- A better you: Making online classes is the ultimate one man band training program. Making a class on Skillshare will stretch you creatively, technically, intellectually and help you grow as an online presence. The more you teach and talk about your subject of expertise, the better you are becoming. You will get better at writing and speaking and time management and so many different skill-sets after creating a course. Your confidence will soar and you will be a better you and that is not a bad thing. Teaching and creating courses is hard work, but extremely rewarding.
Questions, Comments, Feedback?
Complete Show Notes:
My Gear List:
My Amazon Store:
My YouTube Channel:
Buy My New eBook (How To Podcast on Wordpress.com)
Music: Life of Riley & Wallpaper (incompetech.com)
Amazon/Affiliate Disclosure:Mike Murphy LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.