Ep34 : The SnapChat 101 Show (Part 1 of 2)
What is Snapchat?
How Do You Use It?
How Do You Add Followers?
Episode 35 will be part 2 where I discuss how and why I am using Snapchat and how it can help you as a podcaster and online business.
Ask Mike Anything:
Question: What do you recommend for a good video or vlogging Camera?
1. Canon G7X Mark II. This is Casey Neistat’s small camera. This goes for about $700
2. Sony RX100 Mark IV
Rode VideoMicro HD
Rode Video Mic Pro
Fun For Louis
Mr. Ben Brown
The Snapchat 101 Overview:
What is Snapchat?
How do you use it?
How do you build an audience.
Some quick facts:
Snapchat is a social media platform
Snapchat is an image messaging application
Snapchat was launched in 2011 (by 3 Stanford Students)
The company is valued around $20 billion
Snapchat: 7 billion videos plays per day
Facebook: 8 billion video plays per day
Snapchat is a big player in the social media world.
Gary Vaynerchuk loves Snapchat
Logo name: Ghostface Chillah (WuTang reference)
1. How Do You Use Snapchat?
Snapchat is on iOS or Android devices.
Every photo or video message you send is called a Snap
Snaps can be 1-10 seconds long (Here’s a Hack)
Snaps disappear once read.
Snaps can be saved
The Story (foundation of Snapchat)
Snaps are sent as private messages or to your story
Snaps stay on your story for 24 hours and then disappear.
You can see who read your story (and vice versa)
Your story is your story. Be creative and keep people wanting more.
2. The Creative Toolkit of Snapchat
1. Drawing tools and text overlays. Draw with colors or use the text tools to write. Text can be scaled and colored.
2. Stickers: Graphic icons and emoticons. Can be scaled, rotated and moved around.
3. Filters. Overlay effects (Instagram style, black&white) clock, mph, temperature, slow and fast speeds…
4. GeoFilters. Custom made graphics location dependent. You can submit custom made filters for free or pay for ads.
5. Lenses. Face recognition graphics and overlays add humor and fun
3. How do you add Friends?
1. Add by Username: My username is MikeMurphyBTS (as in behind the scenes)
2. Add from Address Book. App will search your Phone address book
3. Add by Snapcode: Yellow graphic with white ghost and maybe a moving image inside (gif). Take a picture of a snapcode.
Note: When you take a screenshot of a snap code, that person is notified.
4. Add Nearby. Add friends nearby at a coffee shop or event
Resource mentioned: Ghost Codes (app to make it easier to find people based on interests…’podcasters’)
Buy My New eBook (How To Podcast on Wordpress.com)
Music: Life of Riley & Wallpaper (incompetech.com)
One Man Band
I help people figure things out. Wanna Join My Band?