Ep158: The Pilgrimage
And if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone.
-Jerry Garcia & Robert Hunter
This episode marks the 7-year anniversary of Mike Murphy Unplugged. In this episode, I share the story of my pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago in France & Spain.
My name is Mike Murphy and I started Mike Murphy Unplugged in September 2015 to teach and document my journey of building an online business and brand creating content. The goal of the podcast has always been to share what I am learning and doing to create the life I want to inspire others to create the life they want.
- A Pilgrim or Peregrino is defined as a person who journeys to a sacred place often for religious or spiritual reasons.
- The Camino de Santiago (or, the Way of St. James) is a pilgrimage that can be traced back to medieval times.
- There are several different routes, but all lead to the tomb of the Apostle Saint James, in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Spain.
- The most popular route and the one documented in the movie The Way starring Martin Sheen is called the Camino Frances and it starts in St. Jean Pied de Port, France, and goes up and over the Pyrenees Mountains into Spain for 500+ miles to Santiago de Compostela, in the Galician Region of Spain.
- The scallop shell is the official symbol of the Camino de Santiago and most pilgrims have a scallop shell attached to their backpack
- Albergues are hostels where pilgrims can stay for usually less than $15 and they often provide a communal meal (and wine, of course)
- All pilgrims must have a ‘pilgrim’s passport’ in order to stay in albergues
- Pilgrims must get their passports stamped at least once per day at albergues, coffee shops, churches, places of interest, etc in order to get a Compostela (certificate) in Santiago.
- Over 300,000 pilgrims arrive in Santiago each year
- August 26, 2021
- Started walking from St. Jean Pied de Port, France
- Sept 28, 2021
- Arrived in Santiago de Compostela, Spain
- October 3, 2021
- Arrived in Finisterre, Spain (‘The End of the World’)
- October 4, 2021
- Arrived in Muxia, Spain
- Total # of Walking Days………. 39 days
- Total Number of Steps………. 1,462,154 steps
- Total Distance Walked (km)………. 1052.6 kilometers
- Total Distance Walked (mi)……… 654.3 miles
- Average Number of Steps………. 37,491 steps per day
- Average Distance Walked (km)………. 27 km per day
- Average Distance Walked (mi)……… 16.8 mi per day
Questions, Comments, Feedback?
My Gear List:
My Amazon Store:
My YouTube Channel:
Leave a ratings & review (if you already did, thanks)
Buy My New eBook (How To Podcast on Wordpress.com)
Music: Life of Riley & Wallpaper (incompetech.com)
Amazon/Affiliate Disclosure:Mike Murphy LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.