- Do you have dreams of making a living teaching online and making courses?
- Have you ever wondered what it takes to make an online course for a large online learning platform such as Domestika?
Well, good news! I just finished creating a course on Domestika and I am going to share my experience from start-to-finish and give you a behind-the-scenes look at the entire process.
I love making tutorials, podcasts, writing how-to articles and I’m a creative tech nerd who is very proficient in video and audio production, but for some reason, I have always struggled to make online courses.
Online courses have always been my achilles heel or kryptonite if you like, even though they were the main reason I started my online business in 2015. I have countless folders on my hard drive with partially-created classes and loads of course outlines in my Apple Notes ready to go. It has always been difficult to block out the required time (or so I told myself) to put together an entire course (even though I have over 1100 tutorials on my YouTube channel).
In the summer of 2022, I received an email from Domestika asking if I would be interested in creating a course. Heck yeah I would!
After several months of hard work, I broke through a big mental hurdle and created a course with the support of the amazing people at Domestika, and now I want to take you behind the scenes to show you how I did it in hopes that it may inspire you to create or finish your own course!
Check out my course on Domestika!
Learn Adobe Audition From Scratch
Download Adobe Audition:
Adobe Creative Cloud
Learn how to use Adobe Audition to record and edit audio for podcasting, music production, voiceovers, narration, and more.
What is Domestika?
Domestika is a multi-lingual online learning platform that offers courses and workshops on a variety of creative topics, such as design, illustration, photography, animation, and more. Domestika has been around for over 20 years, and is one of the largest platform for creative education in the world.
Domestika originated in Spain and now has over 8 million engaged students registered and are growing quickly as they expand internationally. All courses are entirely produced in-house in our state-of-the-art studios (US, Europe, and Latin America) with skilled producers, at no cost to the teachers and distributed and marketed to over 50 countries subtitled in 8 different languages.
Who Am I?
My name is Mike Murphy and I am a full-time tutorial maker, writer, podcaster and tech handyman living in Old Naples, Florida creating the life I want and helping others do the same.
I started my podcast, Mike Murphy Unplugged, in 2015 teaching others how to podcast and build an online business and that led to a full-time position with Simplecast/Sirius XM providing tech support and training to enterprise clients.
I am now self-employed as a full-time content creator, tech handyman, creative problem-solver and I am quite happy about working for myself!
My YouTube Channel (Mike Murphy Co) contains over 1100 quick tip tutorials (under 5-minutes long) to help content creators learn Adobe Audition, After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere…., ScreenFlow, Macs + iOS Devices, Google, Productivity, Podcasting, and other nerdy and creative tech tools.
I am a minimalist, hobby photographer, and self-improvement junkie, and I recently completed my first pilgrimage on the Camino Frances route of the Camino de Santiago starting in St. Jean Pied de Port, France, and ending in Muxia, Spain.
A quote that inspires me as an online educator:
Obvious to you. Amazing to others.
Domestika: How It Started
In the Summer of 2022, I received a email from Domestika that started off by saying the Domestika Curation Team has been following my content for some time (flattery works) and wanted to know if I would be interested in teaching a course about Adobe Audition since I had so many tutorials on my YouTube Channel and my experience helping people launch podcasts.
I am cautious and skeptical by nature, but there was something about this email and opportunity that felt good right from the start and I knew if everything checked out then I was on-board for the ride.
Spoiler alert: Everything checked out and I signed a contract within 2 weeks of that initial email. My gut instinct was right. The Domestika experience from start-to-finish was top-notch and easily one of the best decisions of my professional career.
June 2022 (Introduction):
- Email from Acquisitions/Curation Manager based in NYC
- Introductory Google Meet to learn more about Domestika and discuss course ideas.
- Proposal, Due Diligence, Q&A, Self-Reflection & Decision to move forward
- Contract signed!
- Profile on Domestika created
- Move on to next team: Content Management
July 2022 (Course Structure)
- Meeting with Content Manager to discuss course structure
- I submitted draft outline for Adobe Audition Basics Course
- Review & Edit Process lasted about 2 weeks
- Final Outline approved
- Move on to next team: Producer
August — October 2022 (Pre-Production)
- Meeting with my producer who would become my go-to person from the start of making content through the filming of the class.
- Build Domestika Portfolio & Sample Projects
- Technical testing (screen recording quality, audio, formatting, file naming, document management, etc)
- Create course content (Screencasts + Narration)
- Weekly progress meetings with producer
Early November 2022 (Filming in New York City)
- All-expenses 5-day trip to Chelsea neighborhood in NYC
- Filming in the Domestika studios with my producer and assigned team who were all amazingly creative, professional, and made me feel like a VIP!
- Course trailer filmed
- Photo session with professional photographer
- The High Line, Comedy Cellar, McSorleys, and all the awesomeness of NYC!
- Move on to next team: Teaching Account Manager
December 2022 (Post-Production & Teaching Management):
- Debrief & Feedback about production of course and filming (all positive!)
- Advanced payment (deducted from commissions after course is published)
- Prepare course deliverables & materials (PDFs, Tasks, Lesson Descriptions
- Meetings to learn and discuss marketing and promotional strategies
December 2022 — February 2023 (Editing)
- Editing is done by Domestika team (awesome!)
February 2023 (Final Steps)
- Launch date confirmation email (woohoo!)
- Teaser content discussion (Tutorials, Shorts, Articles)
- Teacher Management Dashboard Overview
- How to navigate student community
- How to support and answer questions from students
March 2023 (Launch)
- Class Launched on March 3rd, 2023!
- Share Trailer
- Help & Provide Support to Students
- Celebrate and be grateful for such an incredible experience!
Creating the Class
Domestika instructors have 100% creative freedom to build the class in their own style and voice. The Domestika team is available to help and support and provide guidance and feedback, but instructors have complete freedom when it comes to course creation.
Introduction To Adobe Audition
- This class is for anyone who wants to start using Adobe Audition for podcasting, music, voiceovers, etc whether you are brand new to audio production or a seasoned professional wanting to switch DAWs.
- Basics courses are the best-selling classes on Domestika intended for beginners and broken down into ‘Mini-Courses’ with practice lessons at the end of each section.
Here is the basic structure of the class:
- Getting Started
- Adding Media & Recording
- Editing in Waveform & Multitrack
- Effects & Processing
- Exporting & Saving
The Final Stage (Waiting For Launch)
- After filming was over in New York City, it is a bit of a waiting game as the it takes several months for the Domestika editors to edit and get the class ready for launch
- During this time I spruced up my Domestika Portfolio and Profile Page and finalized the course text for the website and prepared resources and PDFs to enhance the student learning experience.
- I also had several meetings with the Teacher Management Team whose role is to help instructors have a successful launch and prepare the marketing and promotion plan leading up to launch day.
Inconclusion, creating a course on Domestika was a challenging and rewarding experience for me.
With the support of the amazing team at Domestika, I was able to break through the my internal mental struggle of making an online course and create a course that I am proud of.
The process of creating a course for Domestika was rigorous but well worth it, and I hope that my behind-the-scenes look at the process has inspired you to create or finish your own course.
I highly recommend Domestika as a platform to showcase your expertise and share your knowledge with millions of students around the world. Thank you for joining me on this journey, and I wish you all the best in your own course creation endeavors!
- Was the launch successful?
- Did students like the class?
- Was it financially rewarding?
- Will I make another class with Domestika?
I do not know the answer to those questions yet, but I will be sure to write a Part 2 when the dust has settled.
In the mean time, I would love for you to take the class if you are interested in learning how to use Adobe Audition and if you left a review of the class I would be forever grateful.
⭕️ Check out my new Domestika Course!
Learn Adobe Audition From Scratch
Questions, Comments, Feedback?
My Gear List:
My Amazon Store:
My YouTube Channel:
Mike Murphy LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
In addition to Amazon, some links on this website and on the Resource Page are affiliate links meaning if you click on the link and make a purchase, then I may earn a commission.
Visit My Amazon Influencer Storefront: